Sunday, April 20, 2008

Nursing School Books

With three weeks to go until the end of nursing school, I have found myself with more time on my hands and, well, more time to goof off. But this is creative goofing off.

I desperately want to purge my office of all nursing school detritus, but I still have an exam and a final to go, so I can't just yet. I have a butt-load of books and I'm sick of looking at them. So as I sit here staring at them, watching my bookshelf groan beneath their collective weight, I got to wondering how much they weigh. Unfortunately I don't have a scale.

I don't own a scale out of principle. I find out how much I weigh once a year when I go to the doctor. That's all I need to know. I don't need to watch myself lose and regain the same five pounds over and over again. I have better things to think about.

Still I have the urge to measure my books. Since I can't weigh them I decided to stack them up and see what that looks like.

Oh I also measured the height of the stack to fullfill my need to quantify my books. The stack is 42 inches high. To the right of the stack is a 16-ounce bottle of Dr. Pepper in case you need some sort of scale. Some fools drag these things to class in their backpacks on wheels. My approach was to find a spot in my house and claim that as my work/study area and leave them alone. This worked well for me. I didn't take a single book to class - maybe once or twice in the beginning. I quickly figured out that all I needed for class was the Powerpoint presentation du jour tucked into a nice plastic folder. Voila! No backache.

So in case you're dying to know what these books are, the following is a list of books that I used during the two years of nursing school. Some of these books were purchased during pre-regs but I used them during the course of nursing school even though they aren't nursing books per se. I have two or three other books that I bought but never used, so they weren't included in the photo.

So here is the list starting from the top of the stack.

1. RN Notes. Myers
2. Nurse's Med Deck - Tenth Edition. Deglin, Vallarand
3. Mosby's Pocket Guide to Basic Skills and Procedures - Sixth Edition. Potter, Perry
4. Mosby's Diagnostic and Laboratory Test Reference - Eighth Edition. Pagana and Pagana.
5. 2008 Edition Nurse's Drug Handbook
6. Stedman's Medical Dictionary for the Health Professional and Nursing - Sixth Edition. Lippincott, Williams, Wilkins
7. Laboratory and Diagnostic Tests with Nursing Implications - Seventh Edition. Kee
8. Success In Practical Vocational Nursing - Fifth edition. Hill, Howlett
9. Nursing Diagnosis Handbook - Seventh Edition. Ackley, Ladwig
10. Live Review Course for NCLEX-RN Examination. Elsevier
11. Advanced Cardiac Life Support Provider Manual. American Heart Association
12. NCLEX-RN Strategies for the RN Licensing Examination - Kaplan
13. Pharmacology and the Nursing Process - Third Edition. Lilley, Auker
14. Introduction to Microbiology - Third Edition. Ingraham, Ingraham
15. Contemporary Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing. Kneisl, Wilson, Trigoboff.
16. Dosage Calculations - Seventh Edition. Pickar
17. Nutrition and Diet Therapy - Sixth Edition - Cataldo, DeBryne, Whitney
18. Human Anatomy and Physiology - Sixth Edition. Marieb
19. Wong's Essentials of Pediatric Nursing - Seventh Edition. Hockenberry, Wilson, Winkelstein.
20. Clinical Nursing Skills - Sixth Edition. Smith, Duell, Martin
21. Old's Maternal-Newborn Nursing and Women's Health Across the Lifespan - Eighth Edition. Davidson, London, Ladewig
22. Medical Surgical Nursing Volumes I and II - Fifth Edition. Ignatavicious, Workman
23. NCLEX-RN Review- HESI
24. Saunders Comprehensive Review for the NCLEX-RN Examination Fourth Edition - Silvestri
25. Understanding Pathophysiology Third Edition - Huether, McCance
26. Fundamentals of Nursing Sixth Edition - Potter, Perry

I also have the urge to calculate the cost of these books, but I'm all out of goofing off time for today. My rough estimate would be $3,000.

3 comments:

Books said...

Quite Informative post!!

I was not aware of these books. Thanks for updating.

Anonymous said...

do you have a soft copy version of Old maternal newborn. ebook thanks

Nurseknowpp said...

I do have the Olds Maternal Newborn book but not the E-book. Sorry.