Monday, January 14, 2008

Take the Long Way Home

Today begins the final stretch to finish nursing school. If I keep repeating myself either slap me or get over it because I'm getting old. But I can't believe how close I am to finishing. I spent 4 years getting into nursing school, plus 2 years actually being in nursing school. My mind is boggling about actually having a life once this is through.

It has been difficult but I know that I've grown a lot. And none of that "what doesn't kill us makes us strong" bullshit. I'm talking about how I've learned to prioritize and problem solve; how to communicate; how to work as a team. It has leaked over into other parts of my life and made me a better person. Well, not better. More effective maybe.

Still, I have noticed that now I can see the big picture where before I tended to get caught up in the mundane; the right now. Part of this has to do with actually having something to offer the world in the form of a service or a skill. It feels pretty good knowing that I can do something that makes a difference. I'm not just a body in a chair.

Maybe tomorrow I'll talk about dialysis hijinks. There have been many.

No comments: