Thursday, November 1, 2007

Don't Have A Cow, Man

My poor blog. It's so empty lately.

I failed an exam this week and so today I was sent to the principal's office.

Actually it's called "remediation". We review our exam with the professor and figure out what went wrong. I've never failed a test before so this was a devastating experience. But not being one to wallow, I have put it behind me so I can focus on the next test.

The professor didn't get on my case too much. She told me "I know you know this material. You just made some silly mistakes." And boy did I! I made two silly mistakes on math problems by switching what the prescribed medication was with what was on hand, basically quadrupling the dose and killing the patient.

Let me just pause a moment and tell you that I love my professor. She was in the military for years and don't take no mess off nobody. A few tests ago when some of the students were protesting their lousy grades, she reviewed the test scores and said "the grades stand. End of story." Last week she was lecturing and told us that she was giving us some information for our benefit but that it wouldn't be on the test. As she talked a student raised her hand and said "would you repeat that?" The professor said "why are you writing this down? I told you I'm just giving you this information for your benefit and it won't be on the test. We're already behind on the lecture and I can't stop to repeat things. You just have to write faster."

I wanted to marry her on the spot. I love bossy women.

My personal life has been a gauntlet of stress and I haven't been able to study as much as I would like. But I've made some changes. I asked my boss to schedule me one less day a week and see how that goes.

I promise to come back to enlighten and entertain you with some fun medical words I've learned. Honest.

3 comments:

Mother Jones RN said...

Thanks for stopping by Change of Shift at Nurse Ratched's Place. You asked how you can submit a post for the next CoS. Go to www.emergiblog and send your post to Kim. She's hosting the next edition of CoS.

MJ

Anonymous said...

Hi, I wandered over from LiveJournal. While I'm not in nursing school, I'm a mid-life lez with kids, and pondering a career change that would probably require more schooling. So I'm intrigued by your blogs! Jenni, a.k.a seeker66.

License Pending said...

Thanks for checking me out, Jenni.

Let me know if there is anything you'd like me to blog about that will help you with your journey. I'm full of semi-useless information, but I most definitely know how NOT to go to nursing school.