Thursday, September 13, 2007

Welcome to my Blog

Here we stand at the middle of life wondering what the hell happened.

Nobody told me that at 22 my life would disappear and I would wake up at 46 wondering where my life went.

I woke up at 46 and found myself beginning my second year of nursing school.

So I'm 50 pounds heavier than when I fell asleep. So what if my face is saggier, my teeth aren't as white and I have to wear reading glasses to make toast? I like myself a whole lot more than I did when I was 22. I don't have the same self-conscious feeling about myself. Mostly I realize I don't have a lot of time left. I can't mess around. I need to finish my education so I can enjoy a few years of having enough money to make life bearable before I have to retire.

There are lots of blogs for nursing students. This theme of this blog is the challenges of nursing school that are unique to those of us in middle age. Fortunately there aren't a lot, but they're funny. I would venture to say we have an edge over those youngsters. But the issues are different and complex, and only another middle aged nursing student would understand.

So welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy what I have to say. I hope it will bring you comfort when you feel no one understands what you're going through. I hope it makes you laugh on those days when all you want to do is cry. I hope you will see yourself in my experiences and know that you're not the only one crazy enough to do this.

No comments: