Wednesday, September 19, 2007

I Always Feel Like Somebody's Watching Me

The mental health unit of school is winding down. Boy I thought I knew everything there was to know about crazy people. Turns out the crazy people I know personally aren't really crazy; they're just assholes

Now that I think it over, a good many of the people I know probably suffer from some kind or other personality disorder. Just about every geek I know could be fit the description of a schizoid personality - detached from social relationships, uncomfortable in social situations, and more involved with things than with people. Wow, that would even describe me except I'm really not into "things" all that much, unless one considers useless information one of those "things".

This description sort of jumped out at me. This is a passage from my psych nursing book about paranoid personality disorder. It reads as follows. "A person with this disorder possesses shallow emotions, and shows a pattern of disregard for and the violation of the rights of others. They exploit relationships for their own gain and don't give regard to the needs of their partner, but only care about what they get from the relationship and how it will serve them. Those of the paranoid type constantly analyze the actions of others. They are rigid in their view of the world and think others are plotting against them. They have frequent conflicts with authority and are quick to attack. They are deeply suspicioius of their life partner and want to remain in control at all times.

They can pretend a role to suit their needs and can be very charming in order to get what they want. They show a tendency toward impulsivity and are unable to consider the ethical and legal consequences of their behavior."

I didn't jump to conclusions. The conclusion rose up and swallowed me.

No comments: